It’s finally College Football Season, and I’ve teamed up with a few other bloggers for The Blogger Bowl! We’ll be sharing everything from great tailgating recipes to the perfect game day look throughout the fall. Keep up with our posts on social media using the hashtag #thebloggerbowl and check out our blogs, too!
I really don’t get this whole post Labor Day mentality. You know, the ‘Oh, its magically fall now lets put on sweaters and get gross pumpkin lattes’ thing, because last time I checked it is a million degrees, like, every. damn. day. I live in Texas now, and the heat just won’t quit- just like it never does in Florida. The one good thing about this heat is that it makes beautiful tomatoes, and it just so happens that they remind me of my beloved school’s colors- Garnet and Gold!
I kind of went out on a limb for this one: Garnet and Gold Tomato Salsa. I was trying to go for a color theme, because the most significant Tallahassee ‘foods’ include foldable pizza and more Natty Light than you can ever imagine. This tomato salsa is super easy, and you can swap red and gold cherry tomatoes when bigger tomatoes are out of season. Prep for game day by making this salsa the night before, or it comes together in 5 minutes, takes one bowl and all you need to do is worry about beating USF. GO NOLES!!
- 1 pound each gold and red tomatoes, chopped and de-seeded
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- In a bowl, combine lime juice, sugar, salt. Stir together until sugar has dissolved. Add red onions and garlic, toss to coat, and let sit 5 minutes.
- Toss tomatoes with lime juice mixture and add cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy and Go Noles!