Listen up, I’ve come to an epic realization: Meal Planning is the key to happiness in the kitchen. It’s budget-friendly, makes for less waste, and assures that you eat well throughout the week. Oh wait, another epic realization: Meal Planning is hard and life gets in the way, is also hard. When there aren’t 2.5 kids in the house and soccer games to get to, planning meals seems like more work than needed- especially when happy hour turns into dinner on a random Tuesday or when Chick-Fil-A just, like, needs to happen (That spicy chicken sandwich is no joke).
So I’ve made a compromise: one meal will be planned per week, with leftovers in mind. It’s not quite soccer game status, but I do now live with two boys- one human, one canine. It’s not expected that I make dinner every night, but it makes me happy to sit down together with something a little more special (Just so we’re clear: the canine still eats out of a bowl on the floor). I’ve shifted my focus towards meat-centered meals, just because it typically serves more, fills me up faster, and is overall part of a balanced diet. Also, because dudes like meat- right?
These Brisket Sliders with Avocado Slaw came about from wanting to develop a meal that I could plan out to make a lot of leftovers all the while making Boy #1 happy. The spicy, salty brisket is balanced with a cool, refreshing slaw that is bulked up by adding avocado instead of mayo. You could totally buy pre-made slaw, but I find a lot of it to be super sweet and wimpy in the crunch department. Also, this brisket took me 4-5 hours to cook, but you could put your oven up to 350°F and cook it for 3 hours or so. Just think about it this way: wake up at noon on Sunday and you will smell brisket all day and be rewarded for dinner. You’re welcome!
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds brisket, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 carrot, shaved into ribbons
- 1 avocado, chunked
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 8 whole wheat slider buns
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the first six ingredients. Place brisket in a dutch oven and pour sauce over the meat.
- Cook brisket for 4-5 hours, or until meat is tender and sauce is caramelized.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and salt until emulsified. Toss in sesame seeds, carrot, avocado and cabbage.
- Split each bun and toast, if desired. Fill with 1/4 cup of meat and slaw. Enjoy!