No recipe!? But I thought this was a food blog!
It’s a shocker, but cooking is not about recipes. In fact, I have almost a hundred cookbooks and rarely use them. Not to say I don’t love my books, but recipes are rules and there are no rules in my kitchen. I’d rather be inspired by them than listen to the Man. See, and people can even follow recipes exactly and not get the photo results and then give up on the kitchen altogether. I think that’s so dumb and honestly, I learned to cook in a ‘Chopped’-esque way. I have always challenged myself to make dinner out of the random ingredients in my kitchen. Some turned out to be accidental genius moves and then sometimes I gave up and got Chipotle. I’m not saying I’m a Chopped master or whatever they call themselves, but I can cook. I can really cook and that is because I’ve made a bunch of mistakes. Don’t be afraid of mistakes, let’s make some pesto.
You really don’t need a recipe. You’ve eaten pesto before, you wouldn’t be clicking on this if you hadn’t, would you? Therefore, you know what it’s supposed to taste like and look like. You can do this! I’m going to provide you a non-recipe recipe. It’ll have some steps and some basic ingredient amounts but in terms of ‘handful’ and ‘pinch’. It’ll be totally fine, don’t stress out. Plus, you get to eat pasta at the end of your pesto. What are you waiting for?
- 1 handful kale
- 1 large handful parsley
- 2 gloves garlic, peeled
- 1 handful grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- A couple grinds of pepper
- 1 palm-ful of pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Throw all of the ingredients (except the olive oil) in a food processor. Don't be afraid to add parsley stems, they're plenty delicious. Also, the pepper amount is according to your personal tastes, I like a lot of pepper so it's up to you!
- While the processor is running. drizzle olive oil until it turns into a beautiful paste. Sauce too thin? add more kale or parsley. Sauce still chunky? add more olive oil. It's that simple!
- Enjoy with hot pasta, on toast, on eggs, on a sandwich,for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner... endlessly. Carbs are your friend.