Have you ever dreamed a dream? Of cheese? I didn’t realize that cheese was such an acceptable snack in the South. People just have this perception that blended cheese spreads are totally ok, and I’ve jumped on the train. The train has left the station and I am now the conductor. This is a Sharp Cheddar Cheese Ball with Bacon. It is a rotunda of magic, awaiting the swipe of a pita chip, a pretzel or *gasp* of sturdy vegetables!
I brought this easy party appetizer to Adobe’s 2nd birthday party. You can best believe it was the cheesiest thing you’ve ever seen. It was 74° and Adobe had a bow tie on, the day couldn’t have been any more perfect. Yes, I threw my dog a birthday party and yes, there will be pictures. For now, there is a cheese ball.
Ok, this is a cheese ball. Cheese. ball. Enough said. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 3 ounces bacon, crumbled
- 3 tbs chopped pecans
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, crisp the pancetta. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. scrape mixture onto a paper towel to let drain.
- In a food processor or a stand mixer, beat cheeses and butter on the 'pulse' option. Add pancetta, garlic, green onions, salt and pepper. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Roll out two sheets of plastic wrap, about 1.5 feet long, overlapping so you get a wider surface area. Use a rubber spatula to gather all of the cheese mixture into the middle of the wrap and loosely form into a ball. Bring the wrap up along the sides of the ball and secure it by twisting the plastic and flipping the ball over. Chill for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine parsley, bacon and pecans. Roll the ball into the mixture until coated evenly. Serve with pretzels and crudités!